MONTGOMERY — The Underwood Minority Scholarship Award was officially announced during the Association’s 2019 Annual Meeting and Business Session. Named for long-time Montgomery physician and the Medical Association’s 152nd President Jefferson Underwood III, M.D., the Underwood Minority Scholarship Award is for African-American individuals underrepresented in Alabama’s medical schools and the state’s physician workforce.
Dr. Underwood became the first African-American male to serve as President of the Association in 2018-2019. He previously served the Association as President-Elect, Secretary-Treasurer and Vice President. He is also a member of the Montgomery County Medical Society, in which he also served on the Board of Trustees and as President.
- Applicants must be African American.
- Students already attending medical and osteopathic school or who have been accepted are eligible.
- One scholarship will be awarded annually.
- Fundraising efforts will be the responsibility of the Medical Foundation of Alabama
- The scholarship presentation will take place at the Medical Association’s Annual Meeting.
- The Board of Medical Scholarship Awards will make recommendations to the Medical Association for potential recipients.
- 2020 scholarship applications will become available in Fall 2019.
For more information, contact Mark Jackson at email@example.com.